Monday, May 7, 2012

Book 14, 2012 - While I Was Gone by Sue Miller

I chose another dud.  Another book that's been on my shelf for a long time, with high hopes, but alas.....  not my favorite.  I didn't realize this was an Oprah Book Club choice, (my cover doesn't have the signature Oprah seal of approval), or that would've been my first clue this book wasn't going to be my favorite.  Oh well... this book was great for me for maybe the first quarter or so.... but then, I was pretty bored.  It discusses a middle-aged woman who is a new empty-nester with her husband.  She meets someone in town which brings back memories of her hippie twenty-something years many moons ago.  For me, this discussion was easily the best part of the book.  When she is back in the present, the book dragged for me.  She was sort of swept up in the past with her memories.  I always struggle when decent characters throw away a good thing without a good reason.  I know, I know, real-life people do that too....  but this one didn't make a lot of sense for me.  I did however, think Miller's style of writing was quite good.  I quite possibly could look up another by her in the future... but not anytime immediate.

Did I like it?  Sometimes.  Would I recommend it?  Maybe -- depends on the demographic.  Rating?  2.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment