Monday, October 1, 2012

Book 21, 2012 - One Day by David Nicholls

The plot of this book intrigued me -- checking in on a couple from the night they meet in college, to what they are doing every day that year for a couple of decades.  I assumed wrongly that they planned to be together on that day going forward just as an anniversary thing.  The premise seemed great -- which is why I am not entirely sure why this book didn't do much for me.  The man of this couple, Dex, is such a turd of an individual, I didn't really care what he was up to for the majority of the book.  The female, Emma, was fine... but having a hard time letting her personality come through. 

Bottom line is I know they've already made this into a movie, (one I thought I'd want to see), but can't imagine how it could possibly be very good.  I really like Anne Hathaway who is playing Emma, which may be the reason I went back to read the book!  I guess I've learned  - that's not a good enough reason to pick it up.   This book was overall, just a really flat read for me... a bit on the boring side.

Did I like it?  Eh... it was ok.  Would I recommend it?  Not really - too many great books out there to suffer through the so-so variety.  Rating?  2.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment