Friday, April 26, 2013

Book 8, 2013 - The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman

Wow - what conflicting feelings I have about this one.   I don't usually love books that are just plain sad, and well... this book has very little happiness.  I was recommended this one by a friend of mine, saying she couldn't put it down, and I can see why.  As a mother, this book has so many things going on that go right to the heart of being a mother:  the desperate wanting of a child, the loss of children, the hope and wonder and infinite joy that children can bring to families.

I will not give anything away on this one.  Perhaps I was in the minority on not really knowing which way the book would go.  I was anxious to finish it however, because I felt so much nervousness and sadness for virtually every character in the book and just sort of wanted everyone to get out of their grief-stricken lives!  That doesn't make it a "bad" book at all - just well-written tragedy.  I am needing desperately something a bit more upbeat, but I think more books lately just deal with loss and grief.  Hmmm.

Did I like it?  I did...  Would I recommend it?  Definitely... it is a great debut novel.  Rating?  4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment