Friday, May 31, 2013

Book 10, 2013 - Night Road by Kristin Hannah

Hmmmm, what to say about this book.  I don't think Kristin Hannah is a phenomenal writer, but I was very drawn in by this book.  This book is truly a mother's worst nightmare, and as the mother of 3 sons, I guess I couldn't help but project myself out a few years and put myself in the position of some of the characters in the book.  Would I act the way they acted?  Hopefully, I will never find out, however, I felt a lot of the reactions that various characters of the book did not feel real to me. 

Something about the way Kristin Hannah writes is very distracting to me, and I can't put my finger on what it is.  Perhaps it is that she seems almost immature - like a high school writer?  The nicknames the kids call each other in this book were so impossible, (really, Zack Attack???), and generic-ness of the whole seaming together of the plot just felt very amateur.  I guess I would describe her as the Poor Man's Jodi Picoult.  I think they both like to explore the same themes, but Jodi's style of writing is far superior. 

I know I didn't say much about the book here, but didn't want to spoil anything either.  I wouldn't even say I wouldn't read more by Hannah - just have to know going in that I'm not going to be wowed by her either.

Did I like it?  Sure.... but sad.  Would I recommend it?  Sure... Rating?  3.5 stars out of 5.... I can't ignore that I couldn't put the book down.

No comments:

Post a Comment