Friday, May 31, 2013

Book 11, 2013 - The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier

I liked this book.  Historical fiction remains one of my favorite types of books, and this book was no exception.  This book took place in the mid 1800's, and had lots of themes I do not know much about:  slavery, Underground Railroad, Quakers, the movement west in America.  Very interesting.  This was a book club selection otherwise I never would have chosen the story.  I'm glad I did!

I think I have only read one or two other books by Tracy Chevalier, and it has been a long time.  I am glad I got the chance to remember her again.  She writes great - concise, yet enough description for the reader to know exactly what is going on.  Normally her books seem to center around a piece of artwork, and fictionally, she writes about why that painting/ art got created, (i.e., Girl with the Pearl Earring).  This work was not like that.  It didn't matter - it was still a good book.

The book ran a bit off course for me toward the end...  the main character and I were having a difference of opinion, (hee hee) on a few things... but overall, I enjoyed the book and read it quickly.

I should say here that I realize there is absolutely no way I can accomplish my goal of all of this reading this year, but I'm enjoying keeping track of my books nonetheless.  Running a marathon, 3 kids, working, basement remodel are just getting in the way.  Oh well.

Did I like it?  I did.  Would I recommend it?  I would.  Rating?  4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment