Friday, March 15, 2013

Book 6, 2013 - Big Ray by Michael Kimball

Ok, I admit it... I mostly chose this book because a. it was short and b. it had a great cover.  I thought I had heard of it in a book review in a magazine and heard it was decent.

That said, this book was very quick yet disturbing.  It is written in a series of what seems like diary entries by a man in his late thirties.  He is reflecting on his history with his father who has just died.  It does not take long to realize that the history between the main character and his dad is not a happy one.  As the book moves along, you realize how much of a monster the father was ....more gets revealed as the diary is written.  The writing was very simple but effective.  I am not sure you can really 'enjoy' this book because the subject matter is downright depressing.  However, I found myself sympathizing with all of those individuals who have had a lousy childhood and struggle their whole lives coming to terms with it.  Makes my life seem perfect.....  I should count my blessings far more often.

Did I like it?  Hard to say....  Would I recommend?  Probably not.  Rating? Three stars out of five.

No comments:

Post a Comment